In April, I ventured into the realm of steampunk to create the start of a steampunk Anna outfit for my daughter. She wore what was completed to great success at a local anime convention. I wanted to finish it though. It was a few pieces I made and some things she threw together.
There were two things I wanted to do with this cosplay. First, I wanted to make the spats again. They needed a better way to secure them to her boot; the fastenings broke midway though the day. The spats also would be better with actual embroidery on them. For the convention, due to time, I ironed on a design that matched a pattern on Anna’s dress in Frozen. Second, I wanted to make her a corset that had the same feel as the rest of her costume.
Now she needs to wear this costume again on July 1, so I only have time to tackle the corset issue. Embroidery takes time when you don’t own an embroidery machine, so that isn’t feasible in the amount of time I have. I made her a test corset out of scrap fabric; the feedback I received from her on the test corset was she wanted it a little bigger.
So I set about making a second corset in the next size larger. For the test corset, I used Simplicity 2331, but for the actual corset I found Simplicity 1819. I thought the second pattern was better for her steampunk look. I checked the measurements for each pattern, and they were the same.
Yet, this happened…
It is at least 4 inches too big for her! What is especially disappointing is how well it was going. And how easy I was finding it. It was perfect.
So the lesson here is to measure, measure, measure. Luckily, I have enough of the blue left that I believe I will be able to complete it on time anyway. So here is try 2. In a size smaller than her normal size, I would like to add.