Update on the Steampunk Corset Front

Standard

steampunkannaSo I said a few weeks ago that my daughter needed to wear her Steampunk Anna cosplay again on July 1, and I wanted to add a matching corset. I finished her corset in time, not the one I intended since no matter the size it just didn’t seem to fit. I didn’t have the time to make adjustments to the pattern to get the perfect fit, so I made a different one for her to wear. We still need to add some elements I think, and I want to make her a jacket before I call it done. I took a few pictures a few days before, so the ribbon is actually dark pink instead of the blue now. I’ll update when I have a chance, she wasn’t feeling well the day I took the pictures, so I cut the session short without the right ribbon and better staging.

The boring part of this post is that I am using my daughter’s computer until mine is fixed. I don’t want to clutter up her computer with software and documents or pictures that she doesn’t need. Plus, my camera and her computer did not initially like each other very much; I’ve made the settings on her computer very strict and that ended up being the problem with downloading photos from my camera card.

 

 

Advertisements

Lesson: Measure Twice, Cut Once

Standard

As Alexis appeared in her original “Steampunk Anna”.

In April, I ventured into the realm of steampunk to create the start of a steampunk Anna outfit for my daughter. She wore what was completed to great success at a local anime convention. I wanted to finish it though. It was a few pieces I made and some things she threw together.

There were two things I wanted to do with this cosplay. First, I wanted to make the spats again. They needed a better way to secure them to her boot; the fastenings broke midway though the day. The spats also would be better with actual embroidery on them. For the convention, due to time, I ironed on a design that matched a pattern on Anna’s dress in Frozen. Second, I wanted to make her a corset that had the same feel as the rest of her costume.

Now she needs to wear this costume again on July 1, so I only have time to tackle the corset issue. Embroidery takes time when you don’t own an embroidery machine, so that isn’t feasible in the amount of time I have. I made her a test corset out of scrap fabric; the feedback I received from her on the test corset was she wanted it a little bigger.

So I set about making a second corset in the next size larger. For the test corset, I used Simplicity 2331, but for the actual corset I found Simplicity 1819. I thought the second pattern was better for her steampunk look. I checked the measurements for each pattern, and they were the same.

Yet, this happened…

corsettoobig

It is at least 4 inches too big for her! What is especially disappointing is how well it was going. And how easy I was finding it. It was perfect.

So the lesson here is to measure, measure, measure. Luckily, I have enough of the blue left that I believe I will be able to complete it on time anyway. So here is try 2. In a size smaller than her normal size, I would like to add.

corsetcorrectsize