Cloak Making: The Beginning


This weekend I decided to finally cut out the fabric for my cloak. It only took all of Saturday to get all of the pieces done – largely due to the fact that the only place large enough to accommodate the patterns pieces is my kitchen floor. Pro tip: the hard kitchen floor is not the ideal place to cut out fabric.

I started sewing the cloak on Sunday, and it was going very well. I was practically zipping through the sewing. Pressing the seams took a long time, but that was expected as the untrimmed length of the cloak is about five feet. So I was a bit disappointed when our block lost power for a large chunk of the day.

Boo! Our neighborhood seems to lose power a lot. Weekly, at least. I guess when the zombie apocalypse starts, we’ll have an edge on all those folks that live in neighborhoods with competent light companies. We’ll be prepared to deal.

Back on topic, my cloak remains in several pieces. Hopefully, I’ll have time to finish it this week. In the meantime, I have pictures of the cloaks and shirt I have finished for my spouse. (My cloak is going to be very similar to his.)

I made the cloak and shirt to give my husband another option for the Renn Faire.

I made the cloak and shirt to give my husband another option for the Renn Faire.

Wizard Robe

For many years, my spouse had been an orc or a gargoyle for Halloween. In our new neighborhood younger kids come by to trick-or-treat, so I made him a wizard robe. This way he doesn’t scare the little ones. Plus, it’s warm, which has been important. We’ve been here for four Halloweens so far, and it’s been snowing or raining on Halloween each year. Too bad, it took me four years to make him a new outfit.